- Education - Minimum 4 year degree or equivalent
- Successful completion of a dental assistant licensing program as per state guidelines.
Dental Assistant Position Summary:
The duties of a dental assistant are among the most comprehensive and varied in the dental office. The dental assistant performs many tasks requiring both interpersonal and technical skills.
Dental Assistant Responsibilities:
- Assisting the dentist during a variety of treatment procedures.
- Taking and developing dental radiographs (x-rays).
- Asking about the patient's medical history and taking blood pressure and pulse.
- Serving as an infection control officer, developing infection control protocol and preparing and sterilizing instruments and equipment.
- Helping patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment.
- Providing patients with instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental treatment procedures, such as the placement of a restoration (filling).
- Teaching patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health;
(e.g., tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling).
- Taking impressions of patients' teeth for study casts (models of teeth).
- Performing office management tasks that often require the use of a personal computer
communicating with patients and suppliers (e.g., scheduling appointments, answering the telephone, billing and ordering supplies).
- Helping to provide direct patient care in all dental specialties, including orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics and oral surgery.
- Assesses patient health by interviewing patients; performing physical examinations; obtaining, updating, and studying medical histories.
Dental Assistant Requirements:
- Two-year degree in dental hygiene preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding of dental instruments.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong knowledge of computer programs such as MS Office.
- Possess a good bedside manner.
- Ability to anticipate needs of co-workers, patients, dentist and others.
- Keeps abreast of current research and incorporates relevant findings into specific areas of clinical practice.
Associated topics: assistant, dental biller, bilingual, certified dental assistant, clinical, clinical assistant, dental assistant, efda, oxide, x ray