Assist dentist in providing dental treatment, care and education to patients. Must possess knowledge and skill of clinical procedures, processes and dental administrative functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Welcome and escort patient from reception area and to and from the treatment areas. Schedule appointments and assist in appointment confirmation calls.
* Take and record medical and dental histories and vital signs of patient.
* Recognize signs of a dental emergency, and insure proper and timely response and notification to patient, staff, and emergency medical personnel when necessary.
* Expose dental diagnostic x-rays.
* Make preliminary impressions for study casts and occlusal registrations for mounting study casts.
* Administer a topical anesthetic in any form except aerosol and administer topical fluoride.
* Select and pre-size orthodontic bands and arch wires prescribed by the dentist.
* Remove and re-cement properly contoured and fitting loose bands that are not permanently attached to any appliance
* Assist orthodontist with orthodontic treatment in accordance with the delegable duties allowable by state.
* Provide postoperative instructions prescribed by Dentist.
* Sterilize and disinfect instruments, set up instrument trays, prepare materials and assist dentist during dental procedures.
* Learn and comply with state and Federal OSHA laws, infection control, safety standards in the dental office and operatory, including but not limited to: wearing personal protective (PPE) barriers such as gloves, scrubs, and eye wear; disinfecting and sterilizing instruments and treatment areas; and disposing properly of contaminated or bio-hazardous waste/materials.
* Learn and comply with Coast Dental's administrative procedures.
* Insure review and completion of documentation, including but not limited to: accurate and current medical history, medical alerts, and signed Consent forms.
* Document/chart all dental procedures performed during each patient visit according to dentist's instructions and legal requirements.
* Effectively provide dental education and information to insure patient awareness of dental health and continuing treatment.
* Effectively present to patient the dental treatment plan and proposed plan for continuing treatments in professional and confidential manner.
* Communicate with the patient all treatment to be rendered and financial obligation prior to starting procedure to avoid patient conflict. Understand and explain insurance benefits and financial options to patients in non-clinical terms.
* Ensure treatment rooms are appropriately equipped and stocked with inventory and re-order when necessary.
* Notify Office Manager of equipment trouble/need for a trouble ticket or general safety concerns.
* Understand and agree to maintain production standards.
* Effectively utilize and maintain a system of contact for patient follow-up/re-care.
* Maintain professional working environment within office team.
* Attend and participate in morning huddles, chart reviews, and regular office meetings.
* Adhere to OSHA compliant uniform attire and basic personal hygiene standards per Company policy.
* Attend continuing education and training seminars as scheduled.
* Understand and abide by HIPAA regulations and maintain confidentiality.
* Follow policies listed in the employee manual to ensure consistent standards.
* Maintain a constant line of communication with the Office Manager to establish monetary goals and insurance concerns.
* Assist in the office cleaning, trash disposal and trouble ticket submission to correct any office maintenance issues.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* Excellent customer services skills and verbal communication skills. Ability to read, write, speak and understand information.
* Ability to effectively present information one-on-one with patients.
* Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out details written or verbally instructed.
* Basic computer knowledge and experience with dental management software experience. EagleSoft experience is preferred.
* Ability to work in fast paced, patient-focused environment.
Qualifications (Experience, Education, Licensure, Certification)
* 2 - 5 years dental assisting experience required.
* Previous orthodontic dental assisting experience preferred.
* Active Expanded Functions Dental Assistant (EFDA) certification, or a Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) license or Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) certificate obtained prior to May 2009, according to state guidelines and limitations.
* Radiography licensure.
* Current Basic Life Support (BLS) and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate.
* Ortho Patient Care Coordinators work in a well-lit, clean environment. Their work area is usually near the dental chair so that they can arrange instruments, materials, and medication and hand them to the dentist when needed.
* Ortho Patient Care Coordinators must wear gloves, masks, eyewear, and protective clothing to protect themselves and their patients from infectious diseases.
* Ortho Patient Care Coordinators also follow safety procedures to minimize the risks associated with the use of x-ray machines and other equipment.
Associated topics: assistant, dental biller, bilingual, certified dental assistant, clinical, dental assistant, efda, oxide, radiographer, x ray